Opt for an App – Free communication tools
The term “the best apps” makes little sense, unless you qualify this statement. There are only great apps for a particular purpose. So I will start with communicating with your friends, family, colleagues for free or nearly.
free* calls and texts (*on WI-FI, or if you have a data plan)
What do they do?
- Allows to make FREE calls and send FREE texts other people on Viber and Voypi (mobile to mobile), even though they may be located in another country. It is network independant;
- Acts like your usual mobile SMS and calls.
- No need to register anywhere. Quick to install. Just download the app and it will search your contacts and specify who is already on Viber/Voypi. If your friends are not, tell them about the app and you are ready to go.
- Both apps claim to use little resources so can run in the background. It works like a regular phone call or text.
You have family members, friends or colleagues you often call, scattered around the world.
- Call quality varies (hard to say if it is the WI-FI/or phone related or app related)…
SMS can be delayed
- Blackberry app is coming soon and hopefully other phones users can benefit…
Some people are talking about downgrading their contract (lower the included minutes part of their contract) to save on their bills and use these apps instead.
Viber How to get started Video:
Free SMS only and multimedia messages (does not come out off your SMS / Multimedia allowance).
WhatsApp is available for:
- Symbian devices such as Nokias
PingChat! is available for:
Free phone calls and free video calls over 3G and Wi-Fi:
Tango is available on:
- and soon to your PC…
Read an interesting blog here.
Before making a decision, it is fair to look at all possible angles.
Of course, I have not mentioned the mighty Skype, Messenger such as windows, Yahoo and many other others which are already used and known. I just thought these apps were interesting in the sense that they are fairly new and allow us to talk, video and text on the go. The mighty ones work well and countless blogs and sites talk about them.