Moroccan Chickpea Soup – BBC Good Food, Source
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes with garlic
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed & drained
- 100g frozen broad beans
- Zest and juice ½ lemon
- Large handful coriander or parsley and flatbread, to serve
Preparation and cooking times – Serves 4
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- Ready in 20-25 mins
- Vegetarian, Super healthy
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onion and celery gently for 10 mins until softened, stirring frequently.
- Tip in the cumin and fry for another min.
- Turn up the heat, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a good grind of black pepper.
- Simmer for 8 mins.
- Throw in broad beans and lemon juice, cook for a further 2 mins.
- Season to taste, then top with a sprinkling of lemon zest and chopped herbs.
- Serve with flatbread.
Spicing it up further with a spoonful of harissa paste. Curry lovers can swap the cumin for 1 tsp of garam marsala. Or for a more hearty dish, fry 4 sliced chorizo sausages along with the onions and celery.
Per serving: 148 kcalories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 17g, fat 5 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 6g, salt 1.07 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine, February 2005.